Friday, June 29, 2018

Why? I Am Not Sure, But Grateful I Am

I have been thinking lot about my twelve-year-old self since I did the exercise writing that little  girl a note of reassurance. I have reflected a lot on my upbringing and the person who I am today. I am somewhat baffled as I try to uncover how or why I got to where I am today. First, off it is difficult to see myself as "successful" because that would mean complimenting myself which is hard to do. I have gotten better since my path of a positive mindset and outlook, but it is a struggle to accept compliments and more so claim that I am a success. What is success anyway? I don't measure it by money or status as much a I do by happiness and service, and maybe that is why it feels more like a major accomplishment to me.

 I can't decide on one thing as much as I can on a series of events and important people, and this makes me think how we can support our students to capitalize on these things. I am fortunate to have parents who love and support me, and I think most importantly instilled the value of a strong work ethic. I used to think that maybe strong work ethic was a lost cause, but I do witness it every day in so many leaders, teachers, and even students--including my own children. I know that as I was growing up,  I was so fortunate to have parents who loved me and modeled what such amazing strong work ethic was.

My parents worked at and met a the local lamp plant. My dad eventually went into business with this brother, but worked full days to make it work, and it was hard labor that has taken its toll on him.  In addition to working at the sawmill, he farmed his property. My mom started on the line at 18 and move her way up to forman and then an HR job with the same plant.  She worked the night shift for most of my young childhood. I remember my dad getting me ready for school and helping me with homework.

We also had jobs and had to help around the house. This taught me a lot. Grades and schooling were important to my parents, which made them important to me. I struggled but worked hard and usually received good grades (A/Bs), and when I got anything lower, I was harder on myself than my parents every could be. My dad did pay me for good grades, but I never really did it for the money. I think it was his personal investment that he made into me during our study sessions that gave me the drive to do well. I have always wanted to make my parents proud. They worked so hard to give my sister and I want we needed and usually wanted. I had some good teachers, but I also had some not so great teachers. I wasn't fortunate enough to have a Rick Wormeli or a teacher focused on me learning the content as much as earning points. I also did not have a Kim Rock to support my reading or a Sue Kraske to help me in math; I was pulled out for both in grade school. However, that sense of pride and strong work ethic gave me the internal drive to constantly do my best.

There was always the expectation from my parents that I go to college, and I was so blessed that my parents were able to pay for my undergrad, and the savings that they set up for me was able to pay for my masters and some of a down payment on a house. I also worked through high school and college which continued to reinforce the value of money, and furthermore, gave me the gift of independence.

After college though, I think the adversity I experienced added fuel to my drive to make something of my life. I wonder how some people make it through life's challenges while others do not. The love and support of my parents assisted me in conquering yet another battle in my life. This makes me even more concerned for our students who do not have this love and support at home--even more important on making sure that they get it at school.

Even after thought and reflection, I am not sure what variables lead to success or ones personal definition of what success is. I only hope that my husband and I are giving our children the same foundation, and that my work as an educator and leader does the same for the children I serve. If anything, it is a team effort of love, support, and modeling strong work ethic, kindness, and overcoming adversity. While growth mindset was not intentionally or explicitly taught, my parents never made me feel like there was anything that I couldn't do, and if something was difficult, they encouraged me to keep trying.

Whatever the mix or combination, I am grateful for my parents and all of the people in my life who inspired me to never let the voice of doubt win.

1 comment:

  1. As Shanna’s parents, we are so very proud of her. She continues to set and accomplish goals she sets for herself, but it is her dedication to have all students and educators, young and old, be the very best that they can be that fills us with both joy and pride.

    ReplyDelete