Thursday, June 21, 2018

Reflect, Refresh, Forgive, Repeat

I know that I am not alone. As an educator and school leader, April, May, and June are a whirlwind of long 14-16 hour days, increased discipline, and work to finish a year strong but also plan for the year to come. It gets mentally, physically, and emotionally draining. I am lucky that after 12 years of opening and closing school years I know it is only a temporary state of craziness. I am even more fortunate to have a life partner who knows this as well and reminds me of it when I start to fall apart; I usually have several days of crying due to exhaustion and not knowing how to keep up with the demands. He always has a way of reminding me that I get through it; I always do. I also remind myself that even in these times, I always want to get up and go to school/work. Everyone is not fortunate enough to have a career that they love, and other than the occasional snow day dance or end-of-the year blues, I love what I do and the people (big and small) who learn and serve with me.

It is during these times of exhaustion, stress, and sometimes hurt that we tend to resort to negatively. This is easy to do when we are in this state. I found myself slipping after some hard to hear feedback, during reviewing data portfolios and completing teacher evaluation meetings, and dealing with escalating student discipline or upset parents. My coping skills are not always the best. I stress eat and revert to unhealthy meals and binging on chocolate. I start to miss a day or two of workouts, but I always forgive myself, lean on the people who are my trusted advisers and friends, and remind myself to snap out of it. We have to allow ourselves time to reflect, to let us feel what we are feeling, but also remember the choice to live and be positive: reflect, refresh, forgive, and repeat.

Positivity is a lifestyle change. Life has its ups and downs. How we choose to keep going during the down times matters. I have learned that it is OK to reflect and allow myself to feel what I am. The key is not allowing myself to stay there long. Reflect and learn, refresh the mind, body, and spirit, and most importantly forgive ourselves, so we can move on.  Positive reminders, healthy habits, the people in my life are all tools that I use to get me back on the path to positivity. The power of positivity lives inside me! Being positive not only promotes happiness, it leads to better health. In addition, we become a part of helping and reminding others to be positive. More positive people can only help make the world a better place.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your honesty and your sharing of your own journey, Shanna! It's a true gift to others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have been such an amazing inspiration and support. Your mentoring and coaching has been priceless.

      Delete