Saturday, September 29, 2018

Why MEMSPA?

Why MEMSPA?

Michigan Elementary Middle School Principals Association has been my number one network for sustaining my commitment to education, my staff, and most of all my students.

I first joined the association as a recommendation of one of my education leadership professors over a decade ago. Now even more than ever the liability insurance is crucial to leaders in education. However, the association has given me so much more than a peace of mind.

The answer to Why MEMSPA? might be different for everyone, but I can say without doubt that members number one answer is the support from the MEMSPA office and its members. My MEMSPA colleagues have been the most supportive group of professionals that I could ask for. The support showered over me has taken me from the island of isolation to a community of family and friends. Whatever I have need: encouragement, support, information, guidance, or even a needed fact check or reality call, I have always been able to count on this network of principals from around the state.

In addition to this network of fantastic leaders, the professional learning opportunities are by far the best. Sustained, engaging, research-based, and relational offerings, such as the annual conference, summer institute, workshops, and my favorite--a nine month leadership academy, Leadership Matters--have given me the tools, connections, examples, and accountability needed to advance my building, district, and career.

In addition to the people and the learning, MEMSPA has also given me the opportunity to give back. From involvement at the regional level, my presidency of the state level, and now my national role, I have enjoyed volunteering, presenting, writing, and mentoring others.

Why MEMSPA: to have support, to support others, and to fill my bucket! If you are a member, what's your WHY? If not, what are you looking for? I am sure you will find it with this association.

No comments:

Post a Comment