Sunday, September 18, 2016

Embracing Change with Positivity

"Change is an opportunity to do something amazing" (#InnovatorsMindset @gcouros). 

I used to teach the book Who Moved My Cheese? to my seniors. The book spoke to me since I was a newer teacher and had visions of doing things differently. While some of the staff were excited and the principal supported my vision, others hemmed and hawed like the mouse characters in the book. 

Now as an instructional leader, I want to embrace and support change, especially change that is going to foster the skills our students need for their futures. I try to #LeadPositive by also modeling this type of change for my staff. I read Innovators Mindset over the summer and was both hooked and inspired. 

My opening building PD used modules from ASCD's Teaching Innovation and Creativity series. I even had staff use Schoology to have their discussions that day and will continue this practice throughout our journey this year. What sparked the most passion was the relevant and fun team building activity that we opened our day with: Chopped for Educators.

#PowerUpMMS Team Building "Chopped for Educators"
Our building has a former home economics room that we know use for our life skills class, but it served as the perfect place to have our opening team building activity.

The teams had a mystery box challenge (see link above) and the winning team won a great goodie bag of school supplies for each team member. The staff loved the hats and aprons, and only had 30 minutes to complete their task. The assistant superintendent, secretary, and custodian judged the dishes created.

After the competition, we talked about all of the 21st Century (#Milan21, our Modern Teacher branding) skills this competition needed: Creativity & Innovation, Critical Thinking & Problem Solving, Communication & Collaboration, Flexibility & Adaptability, Initiative & Self Direction, Social & Cross Cultural Skills, Productivity & Accountability, and Leadership & Responsibility. In addition, we discussed how just this one exercise not only hits all of these skills, but all content areas could think of standards their students could learn and demonstrate with minor tweaks. 

I took a risk using up some of my building PD this way, but it paid off. I was positive and enthusiastic about the day and activities. The teachers had fun; team building happened; it was relevant; and it modeled what I have been preaching:

  • Risk Taking is key for staff and students.
  • Some of the best ideas are out of the box.
  • Learning can happen in many ways.
  • Failing is necessary for growth.
  • Learning should be interactive and fun.
  • Transforming practices are key to being more student-centered. 
I am totally behind the change that needs to take place for our students. We have to support and guide our teachers on all levels of readiness. The #IMMOOC network is going to help and support me to better do just that! How about you?






No comments:

Post a Comment